Understanding print jargon
We've been in the print industry for more than 20 years – so there isn't much we don't know.

C Sizes

Paper sizes used for envelopes, designed to take A size paper.

Case Bound

A hardback book made with stiff outer covers. Case bound books are usually covered with cloth, vinyl or leather.


Letters, which stand for Cyan (C), Magenta (M), Yellow (Y) and Key(black) (K). Full colour printed images are made up of these component colours.


Part of a litho printing press, which applies coatings to printed literature.


A special water based coating, which is applied to printed matter to protect literature from ink smudging or finger marking or to enhance appearance. The main types are sealer, gloss, matt and silk. Coatings are commonly used on matt or silk coated paper as these types are more prone to smudging than gloss coated paper. The main difference between a varnish and a coating is that coatings are faster drying and therefore jobs can be turned around quicker. They tend to be more scuff resistant than varnishes and there is also less risk of yellowing paper. However, oil based varnishes are better if specific areas of a document need to be coated. (Spot varnish)


Arranging of printed sheets into the desired sequence.

Colour Mark Up

Specifications on a piece of artwork to a printer, showing the required colours for the item to be printed.

Colour Separation

Process by which an image is separated into the four colours for print production.

Computer To Plate (CTP)

The process of producing printer's plates directly from the computer (CTP) with no films involved.


When the middle pages of a folded section extend slightly beyond the outside pages.

Crop Marks

Printed lines on the edge of paper indicating where the paper should be cut to produce the correct page size.